Friday, July 4, 2008

It's a war zone out there


It's pretty fitting that a holiday commemorating the existence of the United States is celebrated by mimicking all-out warfare.

After being scared shitless last year in the face of the pyro display in Dolores Park, I decided to stay in this year. But that doesn't help much when you live in the city, where middle-of-the street firecrackers and the like are pretty commonplace, at least in my neighborhood. It was a trip just walking back from the corner coffee shop after dusk. I had to cross the street back and forth a couple times to avoid sidewalk cascades of flame. It sort of reminded me of the riots in Quebec City during the FTAA convention in 2001, only then it was fire and tear gas, not fireworks, in the streets.

I'm pretty happy to be boycotting the festivities tonight, as 4th of July in San Francisco is a little bit scary. That, and I got a little partied out at Pride last weekend. Two holidays in two weeks is a bit much for me. Let's just hope the fireworks don't conduct with any of that crackling dry California summer air. The last thing we need is to go the way of Big Sur.

Just remember: only you can prevent inner-city forest fires.

No comments: