Tuesday, November 25, 2008

for the widows in paradise, for the fatherless in ypsilanti

I'm sitting at a coffee shop in Ypsilanti, Michigan (that's pronounced ip-sil-antee). The windows reveal gray skies and a very large church next door. A small flurry of snowflakes is falling on the ground and melting upon impact, creating puddles that will probably freeze if the temperature dips below freezing tonight. It will at least turn into slush, that godawful combination of dirty snow and water that fills Michigan gutters until late April. The weather predicts it will keep steady at 34 degrees all day, so I should be good as long as I drive back to Lansing before dark. The music they're playing is mid-90s coffee shop stuff, like "what if god was one of us" and that song by that girl with the glasses from the reality bites soundtrack. I feel like I was transported back in time ten years when I walked in here.

Just a little slice of my life, for anybody that happens to read this. I'm in Michigan all this week, and freezing my goddamn ass off.

No comments: